Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Language Access Services

The goal of the court is to provide you free language access services if you do not speak, write, read or understand English well.

If you have limited ability to speak, write, read or understand English, the Lassen Superior Court is able to provide you with a language interpreter, a person who can translate court proceedings into your preferred language and make sure that you are able to communicate with the Judge and other court officials.

You can get a free interpreter for these types of cases:
  • All criminal, traffic, and juvenile cases
The court currently provides free interpreter services in civil matters within the priorities established in Evidence Code § 756, as follows and to the extent funding is provided:
  • Priority 1: Domestic violence, civil harassment cases where there is no fee to file, elder abuse cases where there is physical abuse or neglect
  • Priority 2: Unlawful detainers (evictions)
  • Priority 3: Termination of parental rights
  • Priority 4: Guardianship and conservatorship
  • Priority 5: Cases where one person is asking for sole custody or visitation
  • Priority 6: Other civil harassment and elder abuse cases
  • Priority 7: Other family law cases
  • Priority 8: Other civil cases

In addition, the court provides free interpreters to all LEP persons for Family Court Services Mediation and Child Custody Recommending Counseling to the extent that funding is provided.

Requesting an Interpreter

If you need an interpreter, ask the court right away. To ask for an interpreter, fill out and file a Request for Interpreter (Form INT-300)(for forms in additional languages, see the Forms section in the sidebar.)

It is important that you request an interpreter as early as possible, at least a week before your court date. If an interpreter is not available by the time of your hearing, your case may be continued until one can be assigned.

If we cannot provide you a free interpreter for your case, you can bring your own qualified interpreter. It is very important that you find someone who is qualified to interpret, speaks both English and your language very well, and understands legal terminology in both languages. Do not bring a minor (under 18 years of age) to help you. Find out more about the importance of qualified court interpreters and how to find someone. Or click to find a qualified interpreter.


If you feel that a court provided interpreter behaved unprofessionally, you have the right to submit a complaint against that interpreter.

Examples of unprofessional behavior include:

  • The interpreter was late or absent from your hearing
  • The interpreter made serious errors when translating for you
  • The interpreter appeared biased for or against you

To complain about language access services at the Superior Court of California, County of Lassen fill out the Language Access Services Complaint Form and return it to the court following the instructions on the form.

For complaints about the Judicial Council's services (Judicial Council meetings, court forms, or other translated material on, go to:

Contact Information

If you need to speak with a member of the court staff about interpreter services, you may use the contact information below:

Contact: Phone: Email:
Court Office (530) 251-8205

Additional Information

If you would like any additional information about the California Courts Language Interpreter Program, you can visit the Court Interpreters information page of the California Courts website or view the Limited English Proficiency (LEP) Plan


INT 300 Request for Interpreter:

Interpreter Complaint Form:

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.